Valley Academy was founded in 1995 as one of Arizona’s first charter schools. Reid Traditional Schools’ years of experience have allowed us to continuously evaluate and refine our curriculum, while always staying true to traditional teaching philosophies. Using test scores, pre/post yearly testing, parent surveys, and faculty/administrative research, we incorporate strategic planning strategies to improve each area of study.
Parental input to academic areas is a hallmark of our philosophy. We are educating your children; you should have input into what is being taught.
The core curriculum is classic, orderly and sequential.
- Language Arts studies begin with Spalding phonics in kindergarten, progress to the Spalding Writing Road to Reading, and culminate with the study of Greek and Latin word roots in seventh and eighth grade. Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation are required across the curriculum. Classical literature is studied, and students memorize and recite prose and poetry.
- Mathematics studies include an accelerated Saxon math program. Memorization of basic math facts begins in kindergarten and is mastered by third grade. Students in grades 7 and 8 study algebraic concepts and are well prepared for high school.
- Science studies stress the logical applications of basic scientific methods. The science laboratory and laboratory kits provide hands-on experience. The curriculum includes collaborative efforts with local institutes such as the Arizona Science Museum.
- Social Studies courses include geography, history, government, civics, and current events. Teachers relate the curriculum to literature studies. Patriotism is enhanced by memorization of U.S. presidents, states and capitals, and portions of significant historical documents.
- The academic core is supplemented by art, music, physical education, Spanish, and computer training.
This classic curriculum taught by qualified teachers in a stable, friendly learning environment has helped Reid Traditional students earn some of the top test scores in Arizona.
Our well-rounded curriculum sometimes includes having students incorporate art into their core classes. Below, students modeled and labeled the parts of a flower in a life science lesson.
For more information on other services offered by Reid Traditional Schools please click here.